Unwanted and excess hair from underarms, legs, arms, face or bikini area may seem to be unpleasant to look at. To remedy this problem, you will often use hair removal tools or methods that can remove this hair from certain parts of your body.
One such hair removal tool that has a lot of advantages for this purpose is the electric epilator. It is more efficient than using tweezers, shavers, hair clippers or undergoing hair removal methods such as waxing. Here is some information on what we know about the electric epilator.
What is an Electric Epilator and How Does it Work?
The electric epilator, also referred to as electronic tweezers, pulls the entire hair from the root from any part of your body. These include your face, legs, arms, underarms, and bikini area. With its function, it makes your skin hairless, smooth and soft.
There are various types of and models of epilators these days. Some of them are battery-operated, rechargeable, corded, or cordless. They also come in different shapes and you may choose which one is suitable for you.
How does it work? An electric epilator uses spinning discs or a rotating head of tweezers that capture the hairs and pull them from the roots, which leaves the skin smooth and hairless. It rotates as it passes across your skin and pulls out the hairs. The device will then release the hairs, to avoid clogging the device.
Usually, an electric epilator has two rotation speeds: fast and slow. For more sensitive areas, you should use the slower speed.
Tips on How to Use an Electric Epilator
The electric epilator is easy to use, yet to achieve optimum results, you may also consider the following tips on how to use this epilator:
1. Take a shower or bath before epilating. This will make the plucking of hairs easier as the water can weaken them.
2. Do not use any lotions, creams, or moisturizers on the areas to be epilated.
3. Epilating is quite painful. To lessen the pain, you may relax and prepare your skin by sitting in warm water for 10 minutes. You may also exfoliate your skin by applying shower gel on the targeted areas to epilate and to the head of the epilator.
4. If you opted for dry epilating, make sure that your skin is dry and clean and free from oils. You may also use a towel to dry and wipe your skin in the opposite direction, which could make your hairs stand up and become weaker. Also, the dry hair can be more easily grabbed by the epilator.
5. It is advisable to start epilating at the inside of the lower legs, which is less painful. Afterwards, you may epilate the sensitive areas. By this time, you should be used to the pain of plucking your hair with the device.
6. You must hold the epilator perpendicular to the targeted areas to epilate. This will remove your hair properly and effectively.
7. For beginners, you must epilate each day or every other day to have better results.
8. It is best to epilate at night because after epilating, your skin will turn red. The redness will subside overnight and in the morning your skin will be smooth and soft.
Epilator vs Waxing vs Shaving
There are various hair removal tools and methods that can remove your excess and unwanted hair besides the electric epilator. These include waxing and shaving, among others. Each method functions chiefly as a way of removing the hairs on certain parts of your body. However, they differ from one another in the following ways:
An electric epilator has a long-lasting effect. It will take time, probably weeks or months, for the hair to grow again because the device removes the hair from the root. Also, regular use of an epilator may damage the hair follicles, causing the hair to stop growing. Meanwhile, with shaving, the hairs are not pulled from the roots and the hairs will grow again after a few days.
Waxing also pulls the hair from the root together with the dead skin, which will freshen your skin. However, when the wax is applied, the hairs tend to go down against the skin. This makes the hairs difficult to remove and it’s possible that the hairs will break once the wax together with the cloth is ripped off.
Another thing to remember is that epilators and shaving can remove shorter hairs of about 0.5 mm in length. In waxing, your hair must be quite long or reach a certain length before it can be removed.
An electric epilator is easy to use. You just have to plug in the device and put it directly on the targeted areas to epilate. No need for cream, lotion, or moisturizer. Meanwhile, with shaving, you need to apply shaving cream for better results.
Waxing is more complex than the two other methods. You must spread hot wax onto your skin and then put a cloth on top, then press it into the wax and onto your skin. Once done, the cloth is ripped off together with the wax and the hairs that are attached to the wax.
Shaving is less painful than the epilator and waxing methods. Waxing is more painful than an epilator because the epilator can minimize any pain by using a slower speed. On the other hand, the pain with these methods can ease over time, once the skin gets used to them.
Epilating should only take less than an hour and with no mess. Waxing can be done in about an hour or an hour and a half. Shaving takes only a few minutes.
The Bottom Line
Epilators are more efficient than other hair removal methods. They can completely remove excess or unwanted hair from your body. In addition, they are designed for home use, so no need to go to a salon to remove your unwanted hair.