Strength and muscle mass loss begin as humans reach the age of 40. At other times, your muscles can be overworked and in need of comfort. It is advisable then that you find ways to regain strength and mass in your muscles and relieve them to make you fit, healthy, and strong.
One way to counteract loss of strength and mass in your muscles, as well as stress, is to use the latest device known as an electric muscle stimulation (EMS) machine. This new device could accelerate your muscle strength and mass.
As well as making you stronger, it could make you slimmer too by toning your muscles and combining the electric muscle stimulation with exercises that can burn fat easily. Here are some details about this helpful and safe device.
What Is Electric Muscle Stimulation (EMS)?
EMS also referred to as neuromuscular electrical stimulation (NMES), is a new approach therapy that uses electric impulses to contract, relax and stimulate the muscles.
Electric muscle stimulation can provide your muscles with a “workout” that will condition the muscles and enhance the circulation. It can also relieve any pain in the muscles. This device can also be used for strength training and as a post-exercise recovery tool for athletes.
With the help of a personal trainer specializing in EMS training, EMS can include combined exercises that are incorporated with EMS workout sessions. These EMS exercises could help with weight loss by burning fat while doing the workouts.
How Does Electric Muscle Stimulation Machine Work?
EMS machines deliver impulses or small pulsating currents to a person’s motor nerves to generate muscle contractions, thus stimulating and relaxing the muscles. The electric impulses pass through the wires to the electrodes, then to the pads that are attached and connected to targeted areas of the body. They then stimulate and work the muscles, delivering substantial benefits.
Meanwhile, the body reacts by supplying additional blood and oxygen to the targeted areas being stimulated and exercised. Likewise, once the impulses are sent to the muscles, circulation is improved, which maintains the muscles and body in good condition.
The Benefits of an Electric Muscle Stimulation Machine
The main benefits of an electric muscle stimulation machine include stimulation and relaxation of muscles, promoting muscle healing as well as weight loss. Besides these advantages, this latest health device has still other benefits. Among them are the following:
- Helps in burning fat, resulting in weight loss and a slimmer body
- Elevates muscle size
- Increases muscle strength and density
- Accelerates muscle recovery for various injuries
- Stimulates blood circulation
- Increases muscle strength
- Enhances the body’s range of motion
- Prevents and reverses the development of muscle atrophy
- Reduces and relieves stress
- Produces enough energy for muscle activities
- Activates the muscle fibers
- Removes toxins from the body
- Improves posture
The Risks of an Electric Muscle Stimulation Machine
There are many benefits of an electric muscle stimulation machine. However, the following are some of its risks or side effects:
- If the electric muscle stimulation machine is not used properly, it may cause skin burns. It is advisable to read and follow all instructions before using it.
- A slight skin irritation may occur because of a reaction to the electrode adhesive or the current. To prevent this effect, the user must clean and dry the targeted area first before applying the electrodes.
- The electric muscle stimulation machine may interfere with implanted devices. It may cause alterations to the functions of the implanted devices and could sometimes deliver an unnecessary shock. Caution must be applied for users who have any implanted devices in their body.
Who needs an electric muscle stimulation machine?
An electric muscle stimulation machine is best suited for people aged from mid-twenties to 50 years old. Children and teens may not need any electric muscle stimulation because they are still active and have strong muscles. People who want to slim their bodies or lose weight may also use an electric stimulation machine.
Those who are undergoing hormonal changes after age 50 may need this health device to strengthen their muscles which may be gradually declining. Athletes and fitness enthusiasts may use the electric muscle stimulation machine to improve their rehabilitation, training programs and workouts.
Tips for Choosing an Electric Muscle Stimulation Machine
It is recommendable to choose an electric muscle stimulation machine that has the following features:
- Great training programs that may be offered with an electric muscle stimulation machine.
- Consider any programs that are incorporated in the electric muscle stimulation machine. The programs may cover strength, resistance, endurance, pre-warm up, conditioning, and active recovery.
- It must have a backlit LCD screen for easy viewing.
- The machine’s electrodes must be easy to use.
- Look for a machine with a simple configuration for easy setup of the different programs.
- A warranty that will fix the machine when something goes wrong.
- Other features should include a belt clip, so you can take it wherever you go.
- Programs or workouts for biceps and triceps.
- It should have a controller for intensity levels that can be adjusted based on the user’s needs.
The Bottom Line
An electric muscle stimulation machine is a reliable and safe device that will keep your muscles and body in good condition. It is often used in health clubs, workout gyms, hospitals, physical therapy clinics, spas and other medical communities.
The device can not only be used to enhance muscle strength and increase muscle mass, but also helps with losing weight . By combining cardio exercise with EMS, you can burn fat more easily. You may include an EMS for your weight loss strategy to see better results.